Aug 09

SEO And Pareto’s Law

Tag: Inbound Marketing,SEO,Social Mediaadmin @ 10:22 pm

Anyone who knows me well will know that I am a bit of a book worm and enjoy reading a wide range of literature including Law of Attraction, self improvement and Zen Buddhism.

Around a year ago I read Timothy Ferriss’ book “The Four Hour Work Week” who mentioned “Pareto’s Law”. (Yep, I’m still working on that four hour work week and have got it down to around 50 hours from 51. So I’m making progress.)

Pareto refers to Italian economist Vilfredo Frederico Damaso Pareto, who in 1906 observed that 80% of our results (output) were derived from 20% of our input (things we do). It is not exact and is merely a rule of thumb although numbers are roughly consistent.

Examples of this can be seen in everyday life. For example

20% of your clients give you 80% of your problems/headaches
20% of pea pods in your garden contain 80% of the peas.
20% of the employees do 80% of the work.

And so on. I am sure you can think of a few more.

If you look at the keywords which are used to find your site via your logs or analytics program, you will see that approximately 80% will be long tail keywords, i.e. keywords/search terms containing 3 or more words (or low search volume keywords. With the remaining 20% made up of broad keywords (common high volume keywords generally 2 or 3 words).

Now let’s talk about you!

Which of the 20% of tasks that YOU do, produce 80% of your results each day?

Or put another way, where are you wasting 80% of your time each day?

If you’re an SEO it’s not yet another tweak of text here and there that will bring you the results, it’s that cool piece of viral content you’ve just created or that high authority link that just gave you a 20% rankings boost or even that social media influencer with 1,000 friends you’ve just connected with.

The thing is this. Give someone 8 hours to complete their work and they will use 8 hours. Encourage them to be creative, productive and more efficient, and they can achieve the same results in a fraction of the time.

So, whether you do SEO for a living or another form of work, take a look at where your being most productive and try and work out which of your 20% is giving you’re the best return on your investment.(Your Time)








  • RSS
  • Newsletter
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn